Dysport…The BOTOX Alternative
What is Dysport?
Dysport is a simple, effective, non-surgical treatment thatworks by relaxing facial muscles, thereby reducing and smoothing awayfrown-lines and wrinkles. Dysport, like Botox Cosmetic® is a protein extractedfrom the bacterium Clostridium Botulinum. The Dysport protein was initiallyused for the treatment of motor disorders and various kinds of involuntarymuscular spasms, including cerebral palsy.
Dysport was originally to be licensed in the United Statesunder the brand name Reloxin. Most articles pertaining to this drug in theUnited States referred to it as Reloxin. The FDA mandated that the drug bebranded under its original name, Dysport (rather than Reloxin) prior to itsApril 2009 FDA approval.
The FDA has approved Dysport to treat forehead wrinkles andfrown lines, making it only the second drug to be approved by the agency as awrinkle treatment.
Like Botox, Dysport is administered via an injection at thesite of forehead wrinkles. According to Ipsen Biopharm Ltd., which makesDysport, the FDA based its approval on clinical trials involving about 2,900people at 80 study sites.
One clinical trial showed 93%-95% of participants noticed animprovement in the appearance of forehead wrinkles within seven days aftertreatment, and multiple treatments produced effects that lasted for more than13 months.
Dysport treats deep lines and wrinkles by immobilizingmuscles, similar to Botox. Developed in the United Kingdom in the early ’90s,Dysport has been used overseas for many years. Dysport was approved by theFederal Drug Administration in April 2009 for the treatment of head-and-neckmuscle spasms and deep lines between the eyebrows.
What You Need To Know About Dysport vs. Botox
* Dysport is made from the same botulinum toxin Type A asBotox and is injected in the same way as Botox. Both work by temporarilyimmobilizing muscles, which reduces lines and furrows.
* Dysport is injected around expression lines — the creasescaused by frowning, scowling, smiling or looking surprised — to diminish theirappearance or keep them from forming.
* The three most common areas for Dysport injections arebetween the eyebrows, the forehead and next to the eyes, where “crow’s feet”form. Dysport can improve your appearance and prevent the formation of deepexpression lines that make you look older. It will not help fine lines orwrinkles that are not due to facial expressions.
* Dysport has fewer proteins surrounding the toxin and soshould stimulate a weaker immune response to break down the toxin. This maymake it a good choice for Botox patients who find Botox no longer works becausetheir body has developed antibodies.
* There are some claims that Dysport works faster and lastslonger.